23 Reasons Why You Will Love Ambergris Caye, Belize
Belize has become one of the premier tourist destinations in the world, and Ambergris Caye is the highlight of any visit to this tropical paradise. Here are 23 reasons to love this beautiful island in the Caribbean.
1. Shark Ray Alley – Where else can you safely swim, snorkel or dive with gentle nurse sharks and mellow stingrays?
2. Friendly locals who speak English. English is the official language of Belize and on Ambergris Caye everyone speaks it. Plus the locals are sincerely helpful and friendly. Enjoy their beautiful smiles as they welcome you to the island.
3. Being able to get around with golf carts. Ambergris Caye is only 1 mile wide and 26 miles long. Most people walk, bike or use golf carts to get around the island. No road rage, traffic jams or accidents!
4. Take a water taxi to your favorite resort or restaurant. There are a few resorts and restaurants that are hard to get to by land – but thanks to the local Coastal Xpress taxi service, you can easily get to them. It’s like being in Venice but even more fun!
5. Speaking of restaurants – there are a few that give you the whole 5-star experience. There are also some that are quite inexpensive, and everything in between. Ambergris Caye provides a wide variety of dining options.
6. D and E’s frozen custard in San Pedro provides creamy, rich treats comparable to those in places like New York or Miami. There are many flavors to choose from and the prices are surprisingly low.
7. Local children playing in San Pedro’s park remind you that this is not just a tourist haven. It’s a family-friendly place with permanent residents who make it a nice place to live as well as visit.
8. Hol Chan Marine Reserve, home to the world’s second-largest barrier reef, is just a short boat ride away and provides world-class scuba diving and snorkeling.
9. The famous Blue Hole. Scuba divers come from around the world to dive here. You can also take a helicopter ride to see it from the air.
10. Beautiful artwork in San Pedro and in many of the resorts around the island creates a great ambiance for art lovers.
11. Long stretches of sandy beaches provide places to just unwind and catch some sun.
12. Maya ruins on the Southern end of the island. The Marco Gonzalez site is not as extensive as the ones on the mainland but still provides a fun day of historical discovery.
13. More extensive ruins can be found on the mainland, which is easily accessible from the island for day trips. This is great for those who want to learn more about ancient cultures.
14. While on the mainland, you can also try cave tubing and zip-lining. These are great activities for adrenaline junkies.
15. A mild year-round climate with soft ocean breezes keeps you comfortable whatever the season.
16. Manatees! These beautiful sea creatures are an attraction for nature lovers as they can be found in the waters of the island.
17. Deep tissue massages on the water. What a wonderful way to relax!
18. The view of the island from the air while flying in from the mainland – it’s breathtaking!
19. Bowling on the beach. One of the bars in San Pedro has its own set up right on the water! This is a great way to interact with other tourists and locals for a fun night on the town.
20. Tourists from all over the world – it’s fun to be able to mingle with Australians, Britons, and others from many other countries at the local hot spots.
21. A casual dress culture that allows you to wear flip flops everywhere. It’s comfortable and chill.
22. Clear night skies. The lack of light pollution lets you see more stars.
23. The super relaxed local culture lets you fully unwind. Each day is an adventure and life is just fine.
To enjoy all of these wonderful things, come to beautiful Ambergris Caye! While you are here, consider a visit to Salt Life Belize, which is one of the best communities on the island to live, invest and retire. For more information, visit www.saltlifebelize.com.